Sunday, September 1, 2013

House

At my college, we always joked that it was basically Hogwarts.  The library looked like a castle; you could swear some of the buildings had moving staircases; and the number one reason, our classes were divided not unlike Hogwarts houses.  Each class year was assigned a color and a mascot (green griffins, red pegasi, yellow sphinxes, and blue lyons) which was loudly and colorfully celebrated throughout and beyond our years at the college.  The #1 event for class spirit was the annual convocation, ringing in the start of a new school year.

On Friday at CI, we had our first day of house.  Now, I'm still figuring out what exactly house is, but here's what I know.  All students from pre-K to grade 10, plus all faculty and staff, are assigned to one of four houses:  earth, fire, air, or water.  (I'm earth house -- green again, yay!)  Every other Friday there are house competitions, collaborative efforts across the grade levels that promote community and teamwork.

This week was our first house event.  Donning our brightly colored shirts, we started with a really cool picture -- check out this time lapse video to see the final result!  After that, each house took one quadrant of the outdoor track and lined up by grade level.  When the signal was given, everyone ran or walked around the track, leading to a blending of colors, houses, grade levels, and people.  It was such a fun event to be a part of!  The jubilant spirit and excitement to welcome new faces to the community brought me for a moment back to my college, and I fought tears as I fondly remembered sharing those celebrations with my friends.

Soon, the college will officially welcome a new class of green griffins on convocation day.  And while I will always be a green griffin, I am proud to have found a new green home here in South Korea.

**********
Currently reading:  Wild Hike by Jake Maddox, recommended to me by a student
Current high:  busy weekend of cooking and cleaning means starting the week with a clean apartment and a full fridge!
Current low:  didn't get around to washing my sheets this weekend...that and a few other cooking projects will have to be tackled next weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment