Thursday, October 31, 2013

Teaching Changes Lives

Sometimes, teachers will have long days.  I know I've had a few slumps even in my short career.  But once in a while comes a day or a moment or even a sentence that reminds us why what we do is worthwhile.  On days like today, it's important to reflect on that.

The other day during rehearsal for the middle school play, the director and I were chatting with my assistant stage manager, JL.  He asked us, "After this play is over, can I just stage manage for the next one?  And the next one and the next one until I graduate?"  "Of course!" we told him!  (He's great.  He's a dream.  I love training ASMs.)  Our team has thrown around the idea of putting on a full-school musical next year, and he was super excited about that.  He made some suggestions of plays he likes and we chatted about favourite shows.  Then he dropped this gem.

"I used to want to focus on studying history.  But after this?  Theatre and stage management."

Words like that touch a teacher's heart.  I reached out to this kid, told him what a stage manager is, trained him in running rehearsals, taught him how to record blocking.  The director and I are hoping to have him call the show for one of the final performances.  And it made a difference in his life.

Will he go on to be a Broadway stage manager?  Maybe not -- he is only 13, and could change his mind a million times.  (I know I did!)  But maybe he will.  And even if he doesn't, he has found a passion for the arts and for management that will follow him throughout his life.  So whether I one day get to watch a professional show he worked on or see that as a businessman he lends financial support to the arts, I am so proud to think that I may have in some small way contributed to that.  I know I am eternally grateful to those who gave me my start in the arts -- and I never dreamed I'd be here.

**********
Currently reading:  just started Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson...favourite quote so far:  "[Art] is where you can find your soul, if you dare.  Where you can touch that part of you that you've never dared look at before."
Current high:  RED SOX WON THE WORLD SERIES
Current low:  scheduling nightmares, the saga continues

1 comment:

  1. And don't forget: even in glorious moments where you don't get to hear students say gems like that, you're still making even a small difference. I'm certainly trying to remind myself of that as I'm teaching for the first time!

    You rock so hard, Gracie! <3

    ReplyDelete