Monday, May 19, 2014

It only takes a spark...

Quick but exciting follow-up on my previous post about teaching sexism.  After the great conversation we started in 3C, a few of the students reflected on it in their journals the following day, and Ms. W also made space for me to share the issue with our female empowerment exploratory, Girls on the Run.  Since then I've had a few great affirming moments, opened some more thoughtful discussions, and felt really good about the progress my students are making on this issue - and that I as their teacher am making in addressing it with them.  I could share the story of a kindergarten girl telling me, "You are so strong!" and being able to tell her that is the best compliment she could give me; I could tell you how GP, a boy from 3B, came over and got me when one of his peers said girls didn't like spicy food because they were too weak; I could relate to you the wonderful and meaningful moments I have shared discussing gender and feminism with colleagues and parents.

But here's the most exciting part.  My friend KM teaches PE at our school, primarily to grades 1 and 3.  Among other things, we bonded over our shared belief in serving as positive role models for the girls in grade 3 who otherwise have no female teachers.  Yesterday during faculty meeting, she came and shared a story with me.  She was telling my kids about how she ran a race against a high school PE class and beat them all.  One student raised his hand and asked her, "Are you a boy?"  KM wisely took advantage of the opportunity to open a conversation about sex, gender, and ability in the world of sports and physical fitness.  As she did so, KM told me that several students exclaimed, "We know about this!  We talked about this with Ms. H!"  She said they went on to have an interesting and productive discussion.

I was absolutely overjoyed.  With just one tiny spark - RL standing up and saying it wasn't fair for her to be excluded based on her gender - conversations are springing up organically all across grade 3 and the Village School.  Teachers and students are owning those moments and opening one another's minds.  My children have been listening, internalizing, processing, and moving forward in their understandings.  I am just so proud of them :) More to come soon, I am sure!

**********
Currently reading:  Anne of Green Gables and Journey to an 800 Number
Current high:  the kindergarten play is looking SO CUTE
Current low:  it's lunchtime and the caffeine still hasn't kicked in ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment