Monday, January 21, 2013

Grace's Student Teacher Survival Kit

For Christmas, I received many wonderful gifts, several related to my upcoming practicum.  Among them were professional clothing, new teacher shoes, nice jewelry, reusable snack bags, a bookstore gift card, and more.  However, my favourite teacher gift came from SO:  Grace's Student Teacher Survival Kit.  In a small, hand-painted wooden box, I found several items and an explanation for why each was included:

1.  A band-aid for when things get rough
2.  An eraser to remind me that everyone makes mistakes
3.  A curb ball to help me find my Explo (a magical summer program where SO and I both feel strong and happy)
4.  A star to remind me that I am a shining star
5.  A die to remind me to take chances
6.  A tissue for when I need to wipe away tears -- mine or my students'!
7.  A rubber band to remind me that flexibility is important
8.  A battery to keep me going, and going, and going
9.  A penny to remind me that I am priceless (or extremely cheap? :P)
10.  A paper clip to help me keep it all together
11.  A flower to remind me of all my "special flowers"
12.  A pearl to remind me how precious I am
13.  A chocolate kiss as a reward for the wonderful job I'll do
14.  A heart to remind me how much SO loves me

I'm still deciding where it will live:  my desk at school, my desk in my dorm, or by my bed.  We'll see how it unfolds :)

Tomorrow is my first day!  I'm feeling a bit nervous, but mostly excited to get rolling.  My initial action plan is complete, my goals in order, my first meeting with my cooperating and supervising teachers in place.  I have written out (and timed) morning and evening routines; I am a creature of habit, so having a regular schedule like that will do wonders for me and my sleep patterns.  Today has been spent doing laundry, tidying my room, and running errands.  Tonight I've got a work shift (I tried to cram in as many as I could before student teaching!) then early to bed before my first day.  Wish me luck!

**********
Currently reading:  still A Dance With Dragons -- halfway done!
Current high:  my birthday is on Friday :)
Current low:  feeling a bit like I'll never be ready for this semester to begin...

4 comments:

  1. You're going to do an amazing job and I cannot wait to hear all about it! I'm glad you love your survival kit <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. And an SO would be significant other asked the slightly out of touch old guy? Or perhaps special one? Or spicy onion?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely spicy onion. I'm a little jealous of the place that onion has in Grace's life :p

      Delete
    2. Bahaha. Yes, Significant Other!

      Delete