Thursday, March 6, 2014

It's the b*tch of living (overseas)

Alright.  Allow me to open by saying that I absolutely love my life.  I'm very good at blooming where I'm planted, and I definitely feel lucky to be in a job that I love surrounded by an incredible community.

HOWEVER.

There are times when it really, really sucks to live overseas.

I had one of those moments on Saturday night.  A dear friend of mine from college is getting married this summer, and I had been hoping that the fates would align and the date might fall on one of the weekends when I could get time off from my summer job.  The electronic save-the-date card arrived while I was out dancing this weekend, and alas:  two weeks after I come back to Korea, she and her beau will say their vows.  I looked hopefully to see if it would be possible to fly back for the weekend, but it was too much to pay for too little time at their celebration (and WAY too many hours on airplanes!).  I woefully sent my reply along with a few gifts to share my joy at their continuing life together.

This afternoon, I received a message from the bride that simply warmed my heart and brightened my day.  She thanked me so sincerely, and assured me she knew it was a long shot that I'd make it out.  But then, the clincher:  a warm and wonderful reaffirmation of a deep friendship.  Even though I haven't seen her in nearly a year now and we talk only rarely, she is always close to my heart.  Hearing her say again how much she loves me was so heartening.  A little reminder like that goes such a long way.

When you live overseas, or anywhere that keeps you far from your loved ones, it can feel extremely isolating at times.  You gaze longingly as two of your best friends jokingly post on each other's Facebook walls while sitting in the same room; you sigh as another three are tagged in a picture at a birthday celebration.  It can be heartbreaking knowing that you can't be a part of it.  But a small gesture - a Facebook wall post, a Valentine in the mail, a text message - goes so far.

So I end this post with a challenge to you.  Think about your loved ones who may be far from you, and reach out with a small reminder that you care.  I promise you, it will change their day.

**********
Currently reading:  The Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson, who spoke at CI today!
Current high:  the crazy stuff I have done for children this week...stay tuned for a post on that ;)
Current low:  weird headaches all week :-/

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Grace, I remember these missing-out moments from living abroad too. It's tough, and i remember part of my own heartache was not only missing my friends/family, but not having anyone around me who could really empathize in the way that friends/family can. I so enjoy reading your blog and so hope that you feel this love from across the ocean! xoxo

    ReplyDelete