Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Why I Teach (Even Though I'm A Perfectionist)

As is often the case, I find that my deepest reflection - and by extension, my best posts - come from my bad days.  Today was a Bad Day.

Let me begin by saying that I am a perfectionist.  I love to do things right, I love organization, I love when everything works out just so.  This type of personality makes teaching incredibly frustrating sometimes because one never masters teaching.  I will never have foolproof classroom management or an ideal curriculum; I will never be the perfect teacher.

I have had other jobs in my life where I felt that I approached perfection.  In my summer job in middle management, coordinating overwhelming amounts of logistics, I felt pretty successful much of the time.   As a stage manager, I can call a perfect show and find common rehearsal time out of 30+ individual schedules.  And while I take a sense of pride in that work and it feels good when I "nail it," the accomplishments are not so thrilling.  Even when I do something perfectly, it does not make my heart sing.

The highs in teaching are different.  When I have a great day, an awesome student interaction, a smooth class where I can see students learning and developing - that does make my heart sing.  Even the simple joy of getting a hug from a student or hearing "I love you, Ms. H!" takes the sting out of a rough day.  The highs are higher, but the lows are lower.  And at this point, there are definitely a lot of rough days.

But of course - I am young.  I am inexperienced.  I am trying and failing (and occasionally succeeding).  I am learning so much, every single day.  As an artist; as a teacher; as a student; I should know to expect nothing different, as long as I continue to reflect and grow.

**********
Currently reading:  between PK report season and two plays this month, I have had precious little time to read!
Current high:  a dirty soy chai tea latte and delicious dinner made by roomie!
Current low:  November, aka the month of staying at school past 7 and continuing to work from home...

No comments:

Post a Comment