Monday, February 4, 2013

No News is Good News

Hello, readers!  I apologize for the dearth of posts lately.  I've been busy and tired, but so so good.  My kids make me so happy, and when I am at school I feel like I am in my element.  I have been taking everything Mrs. M throws at me and running with it.  She's decided to give me a day of supported lead teaching on Thursday -- eek/yay!  A non-exhaustive list of what I've done so far in kindergarten...

  • supervised 1-2 tables (4-10 children) during jobs for 8 days
  • designed and led math instruction for 5 days
  • read-alouds 4 times
  • led morning meeting 6 days
  • designed and implemented small group shoe tie lessons
  • ran dramatic play puppet-making center
  • completed DIBELS (reading assessment) on nearly all students
  • taught Second Step (anti-bullying program) twice
  • found and instructed addition/subtraction computer games
I had my first informal observation today during morning meeting, which went incredibly well.  During my midway meeting with Mrs. M and Mrs V, they both raved about me -- I was embarrassed and awed by how highly these two incredible teachers spoke of and valued me.


The social aspect of student teaching has been tough; I had been warned that the practicum semester can feel isolating, and it has.  I've had run-ins with multiple friends over the last two weeks, and I am struggling to feel involved in my own social life.  A few friends are doing a very good job at keeping an eye on me thought -- props to EE, SC, CB, and SO.

In other news, I cast my play and am thrilled with the group.  I am daunted by putting this project together so quickly, but excited to work with such a talented group of actors.

Hopefully more soon!

**********
Currently reading:  So close to being done, my friends.  Also reading Understanding By Design!
Current high:  Talked to my mom for an hour tonight :)
Current low:  Didn't get too much work done after seminar...and now almost bedtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment