Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Reflecting on Newtown

Shortly following the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School, the early childhood and elementary practicum supervisor at my college sent the senior students this e-mail:

"Those of us who have worked in schools or who plan to work in schools are part of a family, a sisterhood/brotherhood of teachers and school administrators. Our sense of connection with our sisters whose lives were lost is profound, as is our sense of compassion and caring for those who will carry the heavy burden of helping their school community heal even as they must face their own sorrow. We stand strong with them and hold them in our thoughts and prayers."

This morning, our elementary school had an assembly with a local music academy that provides instruction and community to young adults with special needs.  My former kindergarten class was seated a few rows ahead of my first graders, and they enthusiastically called my name and joyfully waved to me.  As I smiled and waved back, my heart was simply bursting.  I feel so very blessed to spend my days with children, who are so filled with light and life.  As I looked over them dancing and smiling and clapping to the music, my eyes filled with tears.  No one can know what they will do when faced with a situation as terrible as the one at Sandy Hook, but I can feel fairly certain that I would value my students' young and precious lives above my own.  I am overflowing with love for all of them, unspeakable joy in their amazing and unique selves.  I wish I could bottle up that feeling of passion and love and carry it with me on my hardest days in the classroom.

I want to close with the lyrics to a song written by a band comprised of several of my high school friends.

Close your eyes, baby; let your imaginings lift you
Rest your head, baby; remember to let your dreams come through
I'm watching, I'm waiting, it's your time to shine
I'll guard you, I'll guide you, you'll be just fine

And you'll learn to speak your mind
And you'll reach up for that star
Grasp, but don't let go of possibility
Keep that star inside your heart
'Cause you're soaring to new heights
And I'm not surprised that you'll learn to shine much brighter
And I'm here

Raise your arms, baby; reach out for dreams that are your own
Smile wide, baby; jump on that cloud that the wind blows
I'm watching, I'm waiting, it's your time to shine
I'll guard you, I'll guide you, you'll be just fine

And you'll learn to speak your mind
And you'll reach up for that star
Grasp, but don't let go of possibility
Keep that star inside your heart
'Cause you're soaring to new heights
And I'm not surprised that you'll learn to shine much brighter
And I'm here

**********
Currently reading:  still Teaching Children to Care
Current high:  my love for my students and my chosen profession
Current low:  the tugs at my heartstrings as a student pleads, "couldn't you stay just one more day?"

No comments:

Post a Comment