Thursday, January 23, 2014

Just Showing Up

If you've talked to me about teaching and education for more than five minutes, you've probably heard me mention my parents.  As the daughter of two educators, a lot of my beliefs and philosophies have been inspired by them, then solidified as I put them into practice or saw them in action.

One such belief came from my father, who is (among many other things) a high school advisor.  For the ten or so years he's been in that role, on many evenings and weekends I would hear him say that he needed to stop by this wrestling tournament or go hear that orchestra concert or attend someone's arangetram.  To build meaningful relationships with students - especially in such an intimate role, where he works with a group of less than ten students from freshman year to graduation day - takes effort.  You have to know your students, and they have to know you care.

Over the last two weeks, our school's instrumental music program has been putting on a series of recitals showcasing private lessons students.  Maybe a dozen third grade students, plus a handful of others I know from teaching drama or babysitting, were performing over the course of seven recitals.  As part of my responsibilities in the theatre department, I worked four of them.  Before Tuesday's, one of my students finished a final rehearsal and bounded off the stage to where I was sitting with a tech theatre student.

"Hi Ms. H!  Can you come to my recital tonight?" he asked me excitedly.  I was so happy to be able to tell him that I was absolutely staying, and the grin on his face made three extra hours after school worthwhile.  He played brilliantly - a far better pianist than I was at his age, and an emerging cellist.  Three other grade 3 boys performed in the same recital, and I was so happy to be there to give them a high five after their performance.

As Woody Allen said, "Ninety percent of life is just showing up."  I'm not sure that's entirely true, especially for teaching - we've got a lot of other work to do.  But I truly think it makes all the difference to see a child in school and be able to congratulate them on that great assist in the soccer game or their impressive figure skating routine.

Do teachers already have too much on their plates?  Absolutely.  And with a class of 21, is it unreasonable to expect myself to be at every single child's special events?  Definitely.  But when I can, I am so proud to support my students and single them out for their unique talents.  Those are the things they'll remember us for.

Back row:  a pianist, a cellist, and a drummer
Front row: the aforementioned pianist/cellist.
Love my amazing third graders!


**********
Currently reading:  The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson and Aimless Love by Billy Collins
Current high:  my birthday weekend is almost upon us, shortly followed by a trip to Abu Dhabi!  Plus already scheming for a trip next year with my two best friends...
Current low:  an email from a student who is VERY nervous about performing tomorrow - but I'm so glad she reached out

No comments:

Post a Comment