Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Adventures in Travel: SFO Edition

On tonight's edition of Adventures in Travel, we find our intrepid heroine on an exciting journey to visit her dear friends in Boston and NYC one last time before departing for a new job in South Korea. She arrives at SFO with time to spare for her 12:45am flight, quickly clears security, and sits down to transfer a few Disney movies to her iPad in case insomnia strikes. They ask for people to gate check their bags, which I do with pleasure -- I'm always willing to forego the annoyance of dragging my luggage around!

Then: the announcement. One flight attendant is running late, and legally, we can't board until she arrives. Thanks for your patience, stay tuned, yadda yadda. I keep a wary ear out, as I have a very short (<1 hour) connection in Minneapolis. Around 12:20, less than half an hour before our scheduled departure, comes the harsh truth: the aforementioned flight attendant will not be arriving until 2:00am.After making a shocked and angry face, I whipped out my cell phone. Life lessons from my father: when an announcement such as this is made, everyone will charge the desk. Call the 800 number for reservations instead. (This is the second time in a year I've used this trick and it's a lifesaver! Thanks Dad!)

As it happens, Delta has a lovely callback service, so instead of sitting on hold, I left my name and number and they held my place for me. My flight was rebooked for 6:40am tomorrow (well, technically today), which unfortunately means losing about 6 hours of my first day in Boston. It also leaves me with the unfortunate task of trying to either get my bag back now (currently waiting for the looooong line to subside) or tracking it down in Boston. Foiled again.

On the bright side, SFO has free wifi, so I'll kill the next 45 minutes of line-watching with an episode of The West Wing before finding somewhere to hunker down for a few hours of ZZZs. Good thing I'm on my way to the land of Dunkin!

**********
Currently reading: same as last time...my progress has stalled.
Current high: fangirling over West Wing with one of my best buddies, JH!
Current low: I think it's obvious.

No comments:

Post a Comment