Monday, July 22, 2013

Fear.

Lately I have been coming to terms with the fact that what I have decided to do with the next year or two of my life is a really scary thing.  It's probably the scariest thing I've done in my 23 years:  moving to a foreign country by myself where I know no one.  And I've often said that it's scary.  But what I don't know if I have yet said out loud is that I am scared.
I am scared that I won't make friends with my coworkers.
I am scared that I won't be good at my job.
I am scared that the friendships I have built over the last four years will decay.
I am scared that I will be unhappy.
I am scared that I won't like living in that culture.
I am scared that I will be unable to find or create community.
I am scared that I will be lonely.
I am scared that I don't know what to expect.
I am scared that I will make really big mistakes.
I am scared that this is a mistake, that I made the wrong choice.
About a month ago, my best friend EE told me, "Write your own stories.  For you."  So hopefully, by now saying all of that out loud, I am a little closer to being okay with it.

**********
Currently reading:  Making the PYP Happen
Current high:  cooking up scalloped potatoes, my ultimate comfort food
Current low:  not knowing what's going to happen next

1 comment:

  1. Remember, even if it's the hugest mistake in the whole world, to move across the world, it's only for a year (if you want it to be) and you'll probably learn something from it. (Of course, I doubt it's going to be a mistake. They hired you for a reason!) Your friendships will change, that's inevitable. But you also make new friends, even within the MHC group. Some of my closest people *now* are not the same group I was close with *then,* which is the craziest, most unexpected part. You're going to be awesome AND you're going to make mistakes. Making mistakes does not negate the awesome.

    (Insert story here about how I moved somewhere that I didn't know anyone after college, when everyone else went to Boston or NYC... blah blah, old person talking.)

    ReplyDelete