Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Falling in Love

As I mentioned briefly at the end of my last post, this week I rotated to another of the third grade classrooms.  One of my favourite students, OK (the same child I discuss in this post), was absent on Monday...but news travels fast.  That night, I got this e-mail from her...

"I heard to JK [her friend] that you move to 3B....
Did you really move? I am really sad I am serious~~~~~
Do you never come to 3A?
I hope you don't !!!!!!      I want to see you everyday"

On the one hand, this completely broke my heart.  I totally love this kid, as well as all my students in 3A, and I hate to see her sad.  On the other hand, it gave me a really warm fuzzy feeling to know how much my students love me.  I believe that one of my strengths as a teacher is my ability to build strong relationships with my students, but it makes it so hard when it's time to say goodbye.  I know I'll fall in love with my students in 3B and eventually in 3C in no time at all, but for now, I miss my kids.

I've been feeling a lot of tension between personal comfort and professional growth recently (more on that in a future post).  The thing that made it really hard to rotate classes was my love for my students; but as I continue to develop as a teacher, I know that it's a unique privilege to get to observe and collaborate with three different teachers in the space of one school year.  As someone who is new to the field, I've got to do what's going to push me to grow and become the teacher I know I can be.

Besides, the good news is that anytime I see my 3A students on the field or in the hallway, I get treated like a superstar with hugs and eager babbling galore.  (No autographs, please.)

**********
Currently reading:  TOO MANY BOOKS, but most ensconced in Oscar Wao
Current high:  treated myself to bubble tea and pad thai for dinner :) And only 6.5 school days until break!!!
Current low:  major life decisions on the horizon = STRESS

No comments:

Post a Comment