Monday, December 2, 2013

Giving Thanks

It's scientifically proven:  saying "thank you" to those who have made a difference in your life makes you happier.  (Take seven minutes and go watch that video.  It's worth it.  Don't worry, I'll wait.)  With Thanksgiving 2013 gone by largely unacknowledged by this expat, with dumplings instead of turkey and massages instead of football, I wanted to take a moment to reflect on a few things I am incredibly grateful for.

* My family, both biological and chosen.  I am so far away from my entire biological family as well as many of my friends, but I am comforted to know that they're always a phone call or a click away.  I can't wait to visit so many loved ones in just a few weeks; I am confident that it will be like no time has passed.
* My work.  I am so lucky to have a job that makes me feel purposeful and where I am valued.  I have such incredible support from Ms. W as a mentor, from all my colleagues who I admire so much, and from my students who teach me new things every single day.
* My travel.  In 2013 alone, I have had the immense privilege of visiting half the US states as well as four countries (five if you count the US, I suppose).  And travel abounds in the year to come with trips to Abu Dhabi, Australia, Japan, Thailand, and India already in the works.  I feel so incredibly blessed to have the opportunity to explore the world, because I know that not everyone is so lucky.
* My education.  Throughout my years of schooling, I have not only gained knowledge, but also skills and talents for writing, critical thinking, the arts, and more.  I was fortunate to find wonderful communities throughout, and I would not be where and who I am without them.  When I curl up with a new novel, I can't help but feel so grateful I know how to read.
* Art.  Music feeds my soul; being a part of theatre communities gives my life purpose; literature is one of my favourite things.  Art reminds me how to be human.
* My youth.  I am having the time of my life on a grand adventure, and I am unbelievably thankful that I have the freedom to pursue my dreams.  (If you're a twenty-something like me and you're reading this -- go, take a risk, do something big.  Chances are you won't regret it...I know I don't.)

The principal of the upper school includes a quote in his e-mail signature:  "From those to whom much is given, much is expected" (Mary Maxwell Gates).  I have been lucky enough to receive so much love and support and privilege, and I only hope that I am using it well.  As a teacher, I want to give back, empower children to find and use their voices, and through them, make the world a better place.  Cliche, I know, but it's true.

An old friend of mine who is also an expat at present wrote a great blog post about spending Thanksgiving abroad.  Her post put into words everything I was thinking and feeling on the holiday; I encourage you to check it out!

During my trip to Taiwan, I realized it may be time for a second blog -- I do want to keep this one primarily focused on education.  So, stay tuned for a travel blog (as soon as I come up with a good URL)!

**********
Currently reading:  The Perks of Being a Wallflower and The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
Current high:  nerdy after-school chats with my new co-teacher...I can tell this is gonna be a rockin' trimester
Current low:  barely any time at all with kids today or really this week :(

No comments:

Post a Comment