Monday, August 12, 2013

Everybody's working for the weekend...

Okay, glad that I got the Dr. Kim stuff out -- wasn't sure that I could wait to get all of that down!  Now, a quick recap of the past couple of days.

Friday night was drinks with the third grade team...or at least, four fifths of us!  One had to back out last minute, but the rest of us had a great time.  We went to Beer's Cool (so punny!) for a few rounds, and while we were there, we ran into a bunch of the interns as well!  Eventually most of us headed back to AK and RL's apartment to hang out and play a couple of games.  My team had a difficult loss at Salad Bowl, one of my most beloved party games!  Alas.

Saturday I woke up to some WEIRD weather.  It became increasingly foggy and dark, to the point that I could barely see the buildings next door, and eventually turned into a gorgeous thunderstorm!  I spent most of the morning watching the weather and chatting with a buddy back in the States.  Sadly, the inclement weather cancelled the boat trip scheduled for the afternoon :( After an AMAZING lunch of grilled cheese and avocado cooked in homemade garlic butter (zomg I was so happy) I opened the window in my bedroom and enjoyed the breeze...and eventually fell asleep.  And thanks to an error in alarm setting, took a MUCH longer nap than expected!  Which gave me a lot of time to watch The West Wing?  It was a quiet day, which was nice.

Sunday brought the arrival of my new roommate, HS!  I got up early since I wasn't sure when she was arriving and puttered about, doing a few more things in the kitchen and making sure everything was tidy.  She and her father came around noon (after a second lunch of grilled cheese and avocado, since round one was such a delight) and she is such a darling!  I introduced myself, showed her around the place a bit, then got out of their way so they could move everything in.

Later on, I headed out for one of my favourite SKorean events so far -- an SK Wyverns baseball game.  The school sponsored a trip to the game, and let me tell you, it was WILDLY different than your average trip to Fenway!  A few highlights:  you can bring in your own food and drink (thanks, Mr. M, for bringing a whole cooler of beer!), they have cheerleaders, and instead of hot dogs, the popular food choice is Korean fried chicken.  Which is DELICIOUS.  This brief video might give you a taste of the atmosphere...
Not only was it a really fun, unique, and exciting experience...they won!!!  It was a suspenseful game, with the lead changing three or four times, and ending in a walk-off home run.  Baseball is a beautiful game.  I came home and chatted with the new roomie for a bit, then headed to bed!

Today, another day of orientation.  Lots of time in classrooms, which was nice.  Woodzy and I have discovered mutual loves of cooking and classrooms filled with background tunes!  Also, another "everyone here is so nice moment" -- I was walking to fill up my water bottle after school and I ran into Mr. F, the athletics director.  We've had one brief interaction (an e-mail exchange when I offered to assistant coach cheerleading), but he stopped me just to say hi and ask how I was settling in.  So delightful!!!  I really do love this faculty community.

After school I stuck around for a bit to watch a pickup cricket match (I'm trying in vain to understand this sport) then headed back for an evening in.  Since I got home around 5pm, my brain has been pouring out my fingertips as I save drafts upon drafts in this blog!  I have so many wonderful experiences and ideas to share, so watch this space :) The amount of posts I'm getting queued up about things other than the minutiae of my daily life mean that I'll probably quit doing those quite soon.  But for now, I should really hit the hay, as I'll be up early tomorrow AM for a Skype date with my two oldest and dearest college friends.  'Til next time!

**********
Currently reading:  okay, I promise, once school starts (ON FRIDAY ACK), I will get back into my routine of reading 20 minutes nightly and then I'll have something to say here
Current high:  I'm just...happy, and feeling like I'm where I need to be right now :)
Current low:  I'm doing that thing where you calculate how many hours you have left until you have to wake up...oof

No comments:

Post a Comment