Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Trial by Fire

Hello, dear ones!  Well, today wound up being rather more exciting than intended on a number of counts.  Let's see...

First a happy one, I started my morning by video chatting with two of my dearest loves, JH and SC!  Such a delight to see their beautiful faces and catch up for a little bit :) An hour really flies by when you're chatting with such beloved friends!

During orientation this morning, I started to get stressed about figuring out how all of the duties of my different jobs will fit together, between teaching third grade and working in the theatre and other general intern responsibilities.  I touched base with my boss about it, and it was both unsettling and oddly reassuring to hear her say that she too was unsure about exactly how my schedule would play out!  It's really up to me to work with the TD of the theatre and Woodzy to make sure I can meet both their needs.  She also let me know that part of the reason she placed me with Woodzy is that she thinks he will be really flexible about my changing schedule!  I also talked to a few of my fellow new interns during lunch, and they agreed that they're not really sure what's going on...so I guess we'll figure it out as we go :)

Woodzy was out today, so during what would have otherwise been classroom prep time, I went over to hang out in the theatre with Mr. G.  We did a nice walk-through of both the blackbox and the main theatre, and he talked me through their shortcomings (or "opportunities," as we agreed to view them!), a few basic operations, and his hopes and dreams for the spaces in terms of things to buy and things we can do.  After four years of working in an older theatre space, which had some quirks due to its age, it's quite a contrast to figure out how to work around the kinks of a newly built space where things haven't been installed just so!

This evening there was a barbecue at school, which was lovely -- sat and chatted with my friends, watched the staff kids dance to the band, and enjoyed some tasty (and free!) food and beer!  Then, just before HY, EB, and I were going to strike out, Mr. G stopped me and let me know that he's had a family emergency and has to go out of town.

So I'm up.

To run the theatre spaces.

For the start of the school year.

O.O

We went over to the main theatre and he ran a quick tutorial of powering up and running the lighting, sound, and projection systems -- nothing I couldn't have figured out, but it was great to have a crash course so that I've got a little direct experience under my belt before things get rolling.  I also touched base with each division principal to make sure they communicate their expectations of the spaces to me so I can have them prepared for their needs.  Guess Woodzy will have to be even more flexible than expected over these first few days XD

When I filled my buddies in on the situation, they were all as surprised as I was.  But then, HY said the perfect thing.  "You're Grace!" she said with a smile.  "It'll be fine."  I couldn't help but grin, because those are the exact words so many of my friends from college or high school would say to me :)

I had a really awful night's sleep last night, so I think I'll zone out to an episode or two of The West Wing and crash out.  Wish me luck over the next few days, readers!  However, as I said to both Mr. G and Ms. W, it's trial by fire...but honestly?  That's how I thrive.

**********
Currently reading:  it's my blog, I could take out this category if I wanted to XD But it's a good guilt tool, I swear I'll start again soon!
Current high:  really nice time with HY, EB, and YC tonight...it's wonderful that I'm really starting to make friends here :)
Current low:  the adrenaline is pumping through my system given this change in the status quo!

No comments:

Post a Comment