Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Orienting Myself

Hello from Songdo, readers!  Here's the happenings of another exciting day at Chadwick :) Today's orientation activities were pretty chill.  My group went to have our medical checks done for our ARCs, then we got back early so we made a pit stop at Starbucks!  Iced chai here is WAY better than in the States.  We had lunch in the middle school/upper school cafeteria -- delicious Korean curry!  Apparently faculty and staff can buy school lunch for about the equivalent of $4, which I think I'll end up doing more often than not.  In the afternoon we talked through instructional technology and professional development.  I am really looking forward to checking out some PD opportunities around Asia!  There's one conference in Singapore that looks interesting :)

After that we were done for the day, but there wasn't a shuttle back to the apartments for another 90 minutes.  One of my fellow interns, HY (a fellow women's college alum, what what!!) and I spent the time chatting with the school's instructional technologist and wandering around the middle/upper school.  Highlights included the TV studio and an indoor garden with pre-recorded cricket chirping.  Plus their staff room is hooked up -- decent lattes, and for free!

I came back to my place to find that my shipments had arrived, hooray!  I spent the afternoon unpacking my cookware, spices, decorations, and winter clothes.  Still a work in progress, but it already feels much more like home.  My bedroom now has a pillowcase made for me by IB, a stuffed animal from my sister, an afghan made by my dad, and four framed photos on the dresser.  To do much more I need to figure out how to mount things on the walls...stay tuned.

Around 6:00, I headed out to the Canal Walk for dinner with three of my fellow interns:  HY, EB, and YC.  We went to a Chinese-Korean restaurant which was DELICIOUS.  Sweet and sour fried pork and black noodles -- yum!  I was also so thankful for HY and YC's knowledge of Korean language and culture; EB and I were happy to sit back and let them order for us.  After dinner we went to a boba place and sat and chatted for another couple of hours.  It was a great time, and we've all agreed to do it again soon :)

Now back home and planning to unpack a tiny bit more before heading to bed -- another busy day tomorrow!  Thanks for reading, and much love to you all <3

**********
Currently reading:  still The Boleyn King, but I also started The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao while at the hospital today
Current high:  making new friends!  I had such fun tonight :)
Current low:  how to hang up my wall of affirmations???

1 comment: