Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Overcommitting, again!

One of the most confusing and stressful things about my job is that there are so many moving parts to it:  teaching in the classroom, assisting in theatre maintenance, attending performing arts meetings, running events in the spaces, planning and implementing weekly "exploratories" for lower school students, supervising aspiring student technicians from the middle and upper schools.

On the flip side, one of the very best things about my job is that I can do everything that I want to do!  I get to teach, I get to do drama, I get to do tech.  Ms. W also approached me today about doing "push-ins" for drama at other grade levels.  As my father asked, what's a push-in?  Single-subject teachers will often come to grade-level planning meetings at the beginning of a new unit and suggest a lesson or series of lessons they can do to supplement the main classroom instruction.  At present, the lower school doesn't have a drama teacher, so Ms. W suggested I might be able to offer some support, which sounds like a blast to me.  A returning intern found a wealth of left-behind books on elementary school drama and readers' theatre in her new classroom and offered them to me, so I've got lots to work with!!

On top of all that, I'm hoping to assistant coach cheerleading (at some level) and be involved in the fall play.  When one of the third grade teachers mentioned today he was looking for someone to co-run the lower school's student council, it took a lot of self-convincing not to jump into that too!  As much as I'd love to act as a female role model for young girls who want to be leaders, I think I'll have to do that in other ways.  In my free time (what free time???) I'm looking into joining a choir in Seoul that will perform Handel's Messiah in a few months.

"Gosh, that sounds like a lot, Grace."  This is something I've heard, oh, I don't know, about every five minutes for the last several years of my life.  "She thrives on chaos!" my mother will explain.  And it's the simple truth.  The more balls I have to juggle, the more successfully I manage my time and honestly, the happier I am.  I'm really stoked to get started on all of these different and wondrous things :)

My plan for my next tattoo sums up this post pretty well:  "She enjoyed pulling together chaos and telling it what to do."

**********
Currently reading:  flipping through several readers' theatre and team-building books
Current high:  planning on going to a PD in Beijing with HY in October!
Current low:  sleepy at 9pm and we haven't even had kids yet XD

No comments:

Post a Comment