Thursday, September 17, 2015

Google Earth, Trace Effects, and Kaneva

On to day two, we're examining three new platforms.



Google Earth
First impressions:  This was the first tool I came across that was familiar to me.  I have not used it extensively, but am more or less accustomed to the platform.  I did use it within my classroom a few years ago in a unit on map skills.  Clearly Google is a big name, and this is a service that is purely free to use.
Age range:  Best used with ages 12 and up.
Pros:  Google Earth allows users to travel the world without leaving their homes.  It provides incredible opportunities for exploration and learning, and the classroom utilizations are innumerable.  It is also available on a variety of devices from smartphones to computers.
Cons:  The platform doesn't seem particularly intuitive for young users.  The only major safety concern is the link to YouTube with open searching.  Students could access inappropriate content through that, so careful monitoring is necessary.  The tool is not as easy for the user to modify as some others we have examined.
Overall rating:  7 out of 10

Trace Effects
First impressions:  The first thing I noticed about Trace Effects was that the site is .gov and affiliated with the US Department of State, giving it a lot of clout.  Trace Effects seems to be designed specifically for use by classrooms and teachers.
Age range:  Designed for children aged 12 to 16.
Pros:  
Trace Effects is a tool that has been designed for English language learners.  There is a teacher resource guide available with clear links to gameplay, and suggestions of lessons.  It seems to be a very engaging environment for learners, and provides ample opportunities for authentic learning.
Cons:  The recommended ages for use are fairly limited.  Online reviews suggested slow loading times can interrupt game play and pull the user out of the experience to some degree.
Overall rating:  8 out of 10


Kaneva
First impressions:  Kaneva seems like a smaller network than those I had looked at previously.  There's not a huge web presence for the site other than their own pages.
Age range:  Not articulated, but I would say ages 13 and up.
Pros:  The site seems to be highly adaptable, allowing users significant control over avatars and spaces.  It being a smaller network, that may make it a safer space to take students into.
Cons:  For all of the sites I had looked at so far, I checked them out on Common Sense Media for a user review of the experience.  The fact that Kaneva is not listed there is somewhat telling to me.  The fact that the network is so small implies to me that the places created may be limited.
Overall rating:  5 out of 10

Reflections
Today's finds brought me a lot closer to what I might find useful as a teacher!  From one tool I have already used with students to some interesting new ideas, it seems that there are some intriguing possibilities.  I am excited to continue to explore the worlds available.

**********
Currently reading:  pressing on, although a new addiction to Mad Men has distracted me from reading
Current high:  one of my G2 students showing AMAZING instincts and leadership today!
Current low:  a sobbing PK kiddo who needed lots of cuddles this morning

No comments:

Post a Comment