Saturday, September 26, 2015

Second Life: EduNation Day One

After a few days exploring Learn It Town, I was ready for a change of scenery and decided to check out EduNation, another island specifically geared toward educational aims.

My first impression was the walls of the room I teleported to in the Sky Platform, covered in great inventions.

The room has a large table in it, as well as two podiums where students can speak.  It seems like a cool format for hosting debates and similar activities.  As a drama teacher, I think this could be a great way for some students to begin to confront fear of public speaking.  Only their voice and ideas are on display, not their face and body.  From there, students could work their way up to presenting live in front of a real audience.


I flew up to get an idea of what was on an island, then accidentally stopped flying not over the sky platform.  Talk about a long free-fall!  I wish I could have gotten video, so impressed that my avatar landed on her feet seeming completely unshaken.  My wanderings then brought me here:


Once I found the door to get inside, I found a square of individuals sharing their pedagogical ideas, leading me to the conclusion that EduNation is a bit more explicitly academic, whereas Learn It Town is specifically geared toward language learning.


Eventually I found some more familiar language-learning settings.  It seemed to me that this area is geared more toward language teachers and teachers in training, whereas Learn It Town is more student-oriented.



To wrap up - I was so tickled by "metaverse TV."  What a great name for a TV station in a virtual world!


More explorations to come tomorrow...I feel like there is a lot more to discover in this different world.

**********
Currently reading:  leafing through several different plays
Current high:  Bali, baby!!!
Current low:  I'm already itching to be on the islands...two more days :)

No comments:

Post a Comment