Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Second Life: The Adventure Begins

Greetings, readers!  This week my grad school assignments bring me to explore Second Life daily for a week, taking a "journey as a tourist in this world."  I've begun by exploring parts of Learn It Town.

Today I hit a few landmarks within the town and wandered to see what else I found nearby.  I visited the Learn It Town Cinema, Theatre, and Helicopter Pad.  (Sadly, the helicopter was unavailable to fly at the time - another day!)





The Cinema seems like a great way to share the experience of a film with distance students.  I have tried in the past to watch TV shows or movies with friends on Skype, but there's inevitably at least a second or two of lag time, so one person's reactions are a bit ahead.  This is a much better solution to having everyone enjoy the film together.



As a drama teacher, I was of course drawn to the theatre.  If I was using this space as a teacher, I would love to build in wings, a fly space, and other technical elements for students to learn from.

Second Life is built on a series of islands, so naturally, they are surrounded by water.  As a lover of beaches, I was enamored of strolling by the water.  I even found a boat that I could paddle around in while watching the dolphins play.  I discovered completely by accident that I can walk underwater!  I was walking along the shore, got my feet wet, and suddenly found myself immersed in the ocean.  Through that I found a surf board, caught a wave and wiped out, said hello to a shark, and piloted a submarine.  My real-life reactions to all these discoveries were huge!




Overall my first solo day in Second Life was really exciting.  Tomorrow I'll take a look at some of the more intentionally educational aspects.

**********
Currently reading:  still The Taming of the Queen!
Current high:  a lovely and much-needed evening with two dear friends
Current low:  two very challenging classes today...time to reflect

No comments:

Post a Comment