Monday, September 28, 2015

Second Life: Wrapping Up

Well, it has finally arrived - my final day of Second Life blogging!  Today I decided to check out some new locations.  Read on :) Unfortunately my current locale has limited bandwidth, so loading was an issue at times, and pictures are not always of their usual quality.

First I went to Venice.  After my Eurotrip this summer, I was excited to return to a city I had explored in real life!  I tried to take a gondola ride (a Venice experience I didn't have), but sadly there were no gondoliers available.  There was a map feature to teleport around to different major locations in Venice, which was neat.




After that I decided to visit somewhere I had never been - Dublin.  Once again, the drama teacher found a stage where it could be fun to teach tech!



I also visited a couple of museums, both familiar locations to me.  I really loved the Holocaust Museum; that would be an incredibly cool place for a social studies field trip with an interactive component.




I visited the Exploratorium in high school on a psychology class field trip and loved it.  The virtual version did not disappoint - although, as with all these places, I will have to make a return trip with more bandwidth!  It was quintessentially San Franciscan with a plethora of bikes out front.

















All these locations are great budget options for students to have an experience of a place that may be thousands of miles from their real location.  They can explore a different culture, or utilize the resources of an organization for absolutely no charge.  Second Life is a great way to open students' eyes and minds to the world.

**********
Currently reading:  Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Andersen
Current high:  a relaxing day by the pool awaits!
Current low:  bandwidth struggles

No comments:

Post a Comment